Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Picking My A Race

After running training for and running two half marathons I decided it was time for a change. I have big goals for myself over the next few years but I know that in order to achieve them I need to start small. I have been interested in doing triathons for awhile now and decided that 2012 was the year of the tri. But I wasn't sure which triathlon to sign up for. There are so many things to take into consideration when it comes to triathlon, making my decision rather difficult.

Check out how gorgeous this swim is!

First, I wanted a race in the middle of the summer. I have finals in the end of May and then my sister has graduation, meaning that late May/early June are off the table. I also wanted to have ample time after all of this to train. Peak training during two weeks of finals and parties is not exactly ideal. I also didn't want a race too late in the summer because of marathon training (I don't think I will ever get sick of saying marathon). This meant I needed a race in the end of June to middle of July.

Additionally, I wanted a race that would fit my strengths and weaknesses. Basically, I needed a relatively flat bike course. I don't care how hilly the run portion is because i can always walk if needed but I do not want to be walking my bike up any hills. Along the same lines, I wanted a race that didn't have a technical bike course. I am not experienced when it comes to sharp turns and the like so they were out of the question. Lastly, I wanted a course that would have a relatively warm swim. I do not have the money to shell out for a wetsuit, and quite frankly I think it will be in my favor to have a wetsuit illegal course since I am a strong swimmer.


The final thing that really affected my decision regarding which triathlon would be my A race was proximity to home. My parents live in Pennsylvania, which is where I will be living during the summer, and I have an apartment in Baltimore meaning races in both Maryland and Pennsylvania were up for grabs. I also did not want a race that I would need a hotel for. All of my money will be going to the very expensive NYC Marathon so minimizing other costs is necessary.

Ultimately I have decided on the General Smallwood International Triathlon. The race is on July 7 in Indian Head, Maryland, which is a little over an hour from my apartment. The race is pretty small, with about 150 participants total. Both the bike and run courses are rolling , and the swim is in the bay with water temps expected to be in the mid-70's.

There are about nine and a half weeks left until the race, which means I need to get my booty into gear. I have been super stressed lately with the end of the semester and finals coming up but I know once I get through all of that I will be golden.

1 comment :

  1. I am registered for this race as well :) It is the Mid-Atlantic Championships so I am thinking that it will sell out. I think they can fill up to 600 people as well. Good luck in your training and hopefully I'll get to meet you there :)

    ReplyDelete