Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dillsburg Pickle Chase 5K Race Recap

I started race morning off my waking up at 6:30 to make sure I had enough time to eat breakfast, organize my stuff, and get to the race on time. For breakfast I made toast with peanut butter and bananas with a Greek yogurt. After changing into my running outfit and packing up some extras, my dad and I were on our way. We left the house at 7:30 and got to the race at around 8:00. With plenty of extra time I picked up my race number and tshirt, and made my way to find a bathroom. I knew I would be nervous so I wanted to make sure I was able to go to the bathroom well before that start of the race. After, we found a table inside the barn and I put on my race number and started stretching. I was feeling relaxed, calm, and confident. When I started to panic I kept telling myself that I deserved to be there and not to let anybody psych me out. About 25 minutes before the start of the race I went to the bathroom again and started walking around to loosen up my legs. Around 8:55 we all started making our way to the start line, and promptly at 9:00 we were off.

My plan for the race was to build each mile and not start off too fast. Once I started running I found a pace that was comfortable and stuck with it. I felt really good for the first mile and a half. I was killing the uphills and loving the downhills (it was a very flat course so the hills were very tiny). But then I got a side stitch. I was having trouble breathing and was doing everything in my power to not give up. My goal was to run the whole thing and not have to walk at all, and I achieved that goal. I was debating whether to walk for a little in hopes of getting rid of the side stitch so that I could pick up the speed afterwards, or to keep running but to slow down the pace. I ultimately decided that it was more important for me to keep running if possible, even if that meant going slower. I did not place much importance of time for this race so I continued to run but was still trying to get ride of this side stitch.

With about .3 miles left, I saw my dad. It meant so much to have him there cheering for me and reminding me why I did this race. When I saw him I could also see the finish line so I decided to sprint to the finish as best I could. There was no official timing but my Garmin said my time was 29:24. I was hoping I would break 30:00 but it would not have been that big of a deal if I didn't. I was happy seeing my time considering how much pain that side stitch was causing me. After the race I continued to have issues breathing because of the side stitch but eventually that all went away after some walking around. I picked up a banana and some water and hit the road to come home. Overall I would say it was a successful race and one that I am very proud of.

Avg Pace


  1. CONGRATS!!!!!!! super awesome finish!!!! seriously go with that amazing garmin time :) love that you have more races planned!

  2. Congrats! Great job on your 5k, so nice to have your dad cheering for you.

  3. yay!!! CONGRATS! so glad your dad was there to cheer you on!

  4. Awesome - congrats on your 5k! You should def be super proud :)