Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Missed Workouts

For any of you who were keeping up with my weekly posts about how my triathlon training is coming along you might have noticed that there was no week five recap. Well that's because five really didn't happen. The week started off great on Monday with a strength session in the morning and a 50 minute trainer ride in the afternoon. Tuesday wasn't so bad either, with a 30 minute trainer ride. But then Wednesday happened. I fully intended to do my scheduled brick but then something came up with school and I found myself working on a group project all night instead of getting my sweat on. I was so frustrated about missing Wednesday's workout that I stopped training until Monday. A little dramatic, yes. During these days I was extremely unproductive and just wallowed in my misery.

But my pity party is officially over. I woke up this morning all ready to set my alarm for 90 minutes later so I could sleep in some more, but instead pleaded with myself to do something. I was already awake so why not be productive, right? It was raining out so I didn't want to do for a run, a strength session didn't sound too appealing, but a nice short ride on my trainer where I could just zone out sounded perfect. So I put on an episode of Friends and rode. And because of that simple little ride this morning my day has been infinitely better. I have gone to the grocery store, cleaned my apartment, finished my lingering homework, and even prepared dinner all before three o'clock.

And now I actually want to workout again. It is amazing how all it takes is one sweat session to get you hooked and back for more. For me, staying in a rhythm is necessary or else I fall off the wagon. I know that missing one workout should not have derailed my entire week and then some but there is nothing I can change about that now. I am really learning a lot about myself during this training cycle, both good and bad things. But I am grateful for both because I can use this to my advantage. As far as training and motivation go I want to be as prepared for when marathon training happens because that is when shit gets real. I know I can muster out a triathlon without too much training but there is no way in hell that I can do that with a marathon, and frankly I don't want to try.

So sorry for this random post. I got a little carried away.

No comments :

Post a Comment