Monday, May 21, 2012

Consistency Is Key

One thing that I have been struggling with lately regarding triathlon training is consistency. I am the type of person that thrives on planning ahead and likes having a set routine. I guess you could say I don't do well with change. As a swimmer I had a set practice schedule that only changed if we had a meet. I woke up at 5:00, had practice 5:30-6:45, school 8:00-3:00, and then practice again 4:15-6:45. This was my routine Monday through Friday for three years. And before that I had a different schedule that didn't change for six years.

So why am I struggling so much finding a routine now? Well for one thing my schedule is different almost every single day. And I have tests and papers randomly. I had these things in high school also but in college they are much more important. Some weeks I hardly have any schoolwork and other weeks I am totally swamped. And then I have to figure in my boyfriend's schedule. He has his own schedule that differs every day full of exams, lab reports, and papers. So between coordinating our schedules and adding in other necessities such as cleaning and grocery shopping, it is nearly impossible to have any kind of routine.

For me, without having a routine it is hard to stay consistent. Normally my routine is what keeps me on track. Since I don't have a routine to keep me going I need to try to keep as much consistency in my life as possible. Even if my schedule changes from day to day and week to week as long as I just keep fitting in 7-10 workouts a week I manage to get my necessary training in. By consistently doing something I keep myself motivated and eager to do my next workout.

No comments :

Post a Comment