Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Something Is Better Than Nothing

The biggest problem I have been having with finding the motivation to run is that I have so many other responsibilities that should take precedence over running. I am a full time student taking six classes this semester, which means I have a lot of schoolwork. Just this week I have 2 quizzes, 2 tests, and 2 papers. And over the next few weeks my workload is only going to get larger.

There have been many days where I ended up missing a run so I could do schoolwork. I am not here to say that school is not important, but rather that I need to work on my priorities a little. When I was in high school, I managed a harder course load plus twenty hours of swim practice a week. For me, swimming was just as important as school, and as a result I managed to do well in both fields. I knew that missing swim practice was not an option to achieve my goals, and that missing school wouldn't enable me to receive the grades I strived for.


Because I am not a professional runner nor am I on any sort of team, I often let running take the backseat to my schoolwork. I know that school is my top priority right now but I need to work on making running more of a priority in my life. I have seen a lot of improvement in my running over the past few months and I am excited to think about how much more I can improve if I actually stick to a regular routine and give running a little more attention.

The problem then, is figuring out a way to balance everything. I knew that this was going to be a busy week so I got as much work done over the weekend as I could. By planning ahead and trying to stay on top of my schoolwork it has allowed me to not feel so overwhelmed and have more time to do other things such as running.


I need to understand that I do not need to be a perfectionist and that sometimes it is better to run a few miles than no miles. I often find myself skipping a run because I won't be able to get in as many miles as I had planned but that doesn't mean that I should run no miles. Something is always better than nothing.

No comments :

Post a Comment