Monday, February 20, 2012

Rundown

It is officially cold and flu season! Everyone I know is sick with something and there is even a case of tuberculosis at my school. Luckily that is already being taken care of. Unfortunately, I came down with some sort of a cold this weekend. I woke up Friday morning feeling a little funny and knew right away that I was about to get sick with something. So far it has been very mild and I am hoping it stays that way.

When I woke up on Friday and realized that I was getting sick, it didn't take long for me to figure out that it is most likely because I have not been taking care of my body properly. In general I always try to be cautious about catching germs and the like, but I neglected to think about the consequences my body would face after being run down from trying to juggle too many things. In an effort to kick this thing to the curb, I am pulling out all of the stops. Basically, I will be acting like a germaphobe this week.

In all seriousness though, I think it is really important that we all try to take some time this week to put our bodies and our health first. The two most important things to prevent yourself from getting too rundown are getting adequate rest/sleep and eating healthy. In addition to my body reaping the repercussions of all of my busy work lately, I became mentally exhausted as well. I started feeling overwhelmed and should have seen that as a warning sign that I needed to take a break.

I am using this post as a PSA to take care of yourselves and realize when enough is enough. We can only do so much before our bodies begin to shut down and cry for help. Germs are everywhere this time of year and being rundown weakens the immune system leading to more illness. Nobody wants to get sick, and although sometimes it is inevitable, take precaution and do the little things to keep you body happy and healthy all winter long.

2 comments :

  1. this is a great reminder and much needed for me right now. i have not been getting the sleep i need and could tell this weekend that my body was rundown. i took that as an excuse to stay home and lay around on the couch as much as possible. but i think it was much needed because i feel refreshed for the week ahead :) hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I have been sick for the past ten days or so and it is getting better but it's such a pain. At first I did a good job of eating healthy but then I just started to feel like a slob because being sick prevented me from exercising and I started to eat poorly too.

    I hope you feel better soon and I'm sure you're doing this but my only thing to add to your list of preventative measures is hydrate like crazy!

    ReplyDelete