Saturday, February 4, 2012

Today Was One of Those Runs

The plan for today was to run 6 miles on my own and then meet up with my dad to finish up for 9 miles total. I was so excited to be able to do a long run on the trail near my house that is flat. I was also excited to be running with Nuun for the first time and trying my first GU.

I set out for my first 6 miles, aiming to drink a few sips every mile or so and take the GU around mile 5. I stuck with drinking a few sips around every mile but I didn't get to take the GU.

I felt great during the entire run and was running at a much faster pace than usual. But I felt so strong so I decided not to slow down. I was willing to risk crashing & burning. This was only the second time I brought a drink along with me during a run and I definitely noticed a difference. I felt more energized after every sip.

I turned around at mile 3 after having something to drink and saw two other runners who were off in the distance. I kept my pace and continued to run comfortably. After another mile or so I realized I was gaining on them. I had no intentions of making this a hard run but I really wanted to catch them.

Once I decided that I was going to catch them, I picked up the pace. I didn't want to push too hard so I ran at a pace that was still comfortable yet fast. I still wanted to take my GU around mile 5 but it just so happened that mile 5 was when I was going to pass them.

As much as I wanted to take the GU, I didn't want to pass these two runners (one of whom was a man who was none too happy to be passed by a teenager) and then stop to take a GU and have to repass them. Ultimately, I passed them with my head held high and continued a fast pace to make sure they didn't hang with me.

This was also the same time that it started raining. And it was cold! I finished 6 miles and met up with my dad. We wanted to 3 miles together but the rain was mixed with ice and we were not dressed for that in the slightest. Since we opted out of the last 3 miles of the run we went back to the house and finished up on the elliptical and bike, respectively.


Laps7
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary57:32.56.009:35
19:38.51.009:38
29:29.41.009:29
39:37.91.009:38
410:02.71.0010:02
59:30.91.009:32
69:11.61.009:10
7:01.50.009:41


In the end, I am really glad I ran a little faster than I normally would have since I only got in 6 miles. They were the fastest 6 miles I have ever run and they felt amazing. Today's run made me feel like a superstar. I ran fast, strong, and chicked my first guy. All in all I would call it a darn successful day.

No comments :

Post a Comment