Monday, February 27, 2012

Running Is Always a Learning Experience

I wish I was reporting that I had a great run today and that it made me fall in love with running even more, but that wasn't the case. I woke up this morning really tired after a weekend jam packed with studying and homework. The sun was shining and there were no clouds in sight though, which instantly energized me.

After class I grabbed a sandwich and got to work on some more studying before my run. I was so excited by how warm the weather was because I didn't get to enjoy last week's warm weather since I was sick. I think my sandwich was a little too much for me before my run but I'll address that in a minute.

From the minute I left my apartment I was smiling ear to ear. It was such a beautiful day and there was nothing else I wanted to be doing at that moment (wanted being the key word- I should have been studying). But after a few minutes I knew this wasn't going to be the glorious run I was hoping it would be. My legs felt tired and heavy, and were barely moving. I just figured they would loosen up as I ran.

Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary42:15.94.2110:02
19:52.81.009:53
210:30.81.0010:30
39:34.91.009:34
410:10.21.0010:10
52:07.30.2110:17       


Not so much. The more I ran the worse I felt. I started feeling dizzy and my stomach was becoming heavy. I ended up taking a few walking breaks and my splits are all over the place but I still ended up running 4.21 miles. Then I walked the rest of the way back to my apartment.

It may not have been the run that I envisioned but it was still a decent run and in the end I am stronger because of it. I try to learn as much as I can from each run, and the main thing that I learned from this run is that I need to start paying a lot more attention to my nutrition. I had half of a bowl of oatmeal this morning around 8:30, a veggie sandwich at 3:00, a few sips of water throughout the day, and left for my run at 4:15.

She is hydrating properly. I need to do that.

I did plan on getting lunch at noon during my break but I had forgot my ID which has my meal swipes on it. Still though, I need to do a better job of fueling my body to do what I am asking of it. And more importantly, I need to drink more. I brought a 32 oz. water bottle to school with me and I hardly drank any of it. I did bring about 1/3 of a gatorade with me on my run (thank god!) but I think that also played a role in the heavy feeling in my stomach.

I have been doing a pretty good job of maintaining a dairy free diet, but I think I can do better. With all of my schoolwork piling up, I stopped paying attention to what I was eating and would just end up grabbing whatever was most convenient.

1 comment :

  1. it really is true that running is always offering up opportunities to learn! i love that about it...and the fact that i can learn about myself as a runner but also just as a person as well! hope your next run is better :)

    ReplyDelete