Saturday, January 21, 2012

Seven Miles In the Books

On Thursday I finally found enough motivation to head out for a longer run. I haven't run anything more than six miles since Baltimore, but I haven't really run in a week or two either so I wasn't sure what to do. I decided to run for thirty five minutes, stretch for a little, and then head back.

I was running just under 10 min/miles and was feeling great so I thought seven miles would be okay. Since I am trying to focus more on running for myself and not because I have to, I wanted to run at a pretty easy pace for the entire run. Before I knew it I was half way and it was time to stretch.


I stretched for only a few minutes but I could really feel the difference. I was hoping to keep the pace the same for the last 3.5 miles minus the super easy half mile I was running as a warm down. I felt great until about mile six. Then I started feeling thirsty and my head felt heavy.

I knew I didn't have enough to drink so I slowed the pace a lot to make sure that I wouldn't pass out or get sick since I was so close to being finished anyway. I made it back to car, finishing seven miles at a 10:09 min/mile. I was pretty happy with this considering how I felt at the end.


I know a lot of people don't bring fuel with them on seven mile runs but I think I need to. I never run with food or drink but now that I am doing longer runs it is what will enable me to finish without feeling dizzy. Hopefully.

I don't like the idea of eating GU's but have tried things such as jelly beans & chomps during longer bike rides over the summer and liked those. How do you fuel for runs?

1 comment :

  1. I always carry a water bottle on my runs, it is very helpful! On longer runs I sometimes eat a gu, too. I hadn't done that in a while but just had one again yesterday. They go down easily and provide some quick fuel. It is a good idea just to carry one in a pocket and you can use it or not depending on how you feel. I've also tried sports beans and clif bar shot rocks which I like but can't eat on runs because they take forever to chew and make my breathing hard. I hope you find something that works for you! I definitely recommend water though to avoid the headaches and sickness.

    ReplyDelete