Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Inspired By the Olympic Marathon Trials

As I'm sure all of you know, the Olympic trials for the men's and women's marathon were on Saturday. While I wasn't as lucky as Emily or Sarah and wasn't in Houston as spectators extraordinaire, I was glued to Twitter all morning for live updates. I have never run a marathon and I have only been running for a few months but I still felt pride watching our nations best achieving their spot to represent the USA in the London 2012 Olympics.

Lately I have been really struggling with finding motivation to train for my upcoming half marathon. Watching the trials really inspired me though. No runner out there by taking the easy way. They were all focused on achieving their dreams. I loved seeing all of their hard work pay off at such a special event.

I came to the realization, as simple as it may be, that I need to figure out what is truly important to me. What do I want to achieve in my life. I won't be motivated to do something unless I am truly passionate about. More specifically, what I need to figure out is what motivates me to do those things that are important and that I want to achieve. I want to be a runner and triathlete but I have to figure out how to add these two sports comfortably to my life.

For me, the trials couldn't have come at a better time. I am around eight weeks out from my spring half marathon. I still have time to turn my sour attitude around. I am going to channel my inspiration from this country's greatest runners into my training. I am going to run because I love it and because I can, not because I have to.

No comments :

Post a Comment