Saturday, July 23, 2011

Catching Up

Things have not been going as planned around here. I hardly got any biking, running, or swimming in this week due to the heat, and I have been majorly stressed about signing up for classes for the fall semester. I am trying to get back into the groove of things and really start training for this half marathon.

I know I posted last week about my upcoming class schedule but I decided to switch some things around in order to have a more successful semester. I am planning on giving school my all, which means a lot of studying, joining clubs, and having a great time. I have a lot already lined up for the semester, which means I will be pretty busy. So far I have contacted the Running Club and the Vegetarian Club about joining, and there is talk of a club swim team starting in the fall. I may actually be pretty involved in the development of the club swim team, so that is pretty awesome. Then I have my classes. I decided to drop a few classes that I realized I do not actually need to take or that I can take over the summer at home. As a result I was able to add something really challenging that I think will also be really rewarding: Russian! I have always wanted to take a more complicated language than French or Spanish, and with the way my semester played out Russian was the winner. I am so excited to try something so different! My class schedule as of now looks like:

Advanced French I
TuTh 11:30-12:45

Advanced Spanish I
TuTh 1:00-2:15

Child Developmental Psychology
W 5:30-6:45

Psychology of Culture
MWF 9:00-9:50

Basic Russian I
MWF 10:00-10:50
W 2:30-3:20


Now on to triathlon and half marathon training.. I have decided to throw away my current training plans, which detailed what I was supposed to do each day, for a new one that says what my mileage should be each week. In order to make sure I get in all of my long runs I am planning how long they should be each week, but besides that I can do pretty much whatever I want. For example, next week I want to run 15 miles with my long run being 5 miles. The other 10 miles can be run whenever I want throughout the week and they can be split up into different distances. I did the same thing for biking and I think this will really help my hit my goal mileage for each week.

For awhile I was putting a lot of pressure of myself for my upcoming triathlon. This will be my first triathlon so there is really no need to have super ambitious goals that will just leave me crushed and disappointed later. I am just going to give it all that I have and see where my starting point is. I want to enjoy this experience and putting too much pressure on myself was causing me to not enjoy it.

2 comments :

  1. I love your new training plan...I think it will be much less stressful and allow you to feel successful! Your attitude about the tri is also extremely inspiring! good luck with your new and improved class schedule. It looks interesting and exciting! I took Russian in junior high...it was tough but definitely fun to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww you make me miss college! PS I thought I was already following you but I don't think I was! Now I am :)

    ReplyDelete