Sunday, April 15, 2012

Triathlon Training Week 3

Monday:
I woke up Monday morning with a really stiff neck that hurt with pretty much every movement I made. I was originally planning on running Monday morning but with how stiff my neck was all activity was out of the question. Unfortunately Monday ended up being a rest day.


Tuesday:
I got in a 45 minute ride on the trainer while studying for my Russian test and watching reruns of Friends. This was the longest ride I had done on the trainer so far but the time flew. It wasn't a hard workout but I did switch up the intensity multiple times to keep things interesting.


Wednesday:
Wednesday was a 30 minute easy recovery ride on the trainer. I really did not want to do this ride but I didn't want to see another rest day for the week. It wasn't the best ride but I'm still glad I got it done.


Thursday:
My first brick! I did an easy 45 minute ride on the trainer followed immediately by a four mile run. Based off of this workout I am very excited to do more brick workouts. I also tried my first energy gel during this workout!


Friday:
I woke up on Friday and my hip was really weird feeling. It wasn't particularly sore but the joint felt messed up. I was originally planning on going for a short run on Friday and making Saturday a rest day but I just decided it was better to switch them and make Friday the rest day. 


Saturday:
The plan was to do a six mile easy run but things didn't quite go as planned. As soon as I started off I knew it was going to be a tough run but I thought as long as I kept my pace easy I would be alright. Around a mile and a half in, though, I started cramping and became really dizzy. I stopped and walked for a little bit and then tried to run again but there was no change. It was really hot outside and I didn't have my phone with me so I didn't want to chance passing out with no way to call for help. I just walked the rest of the way back to my car, which was actually quite pleasant. I ended up running 1.83 miles and walking 1.83 miles. Not ideal but I didn't want to take any chances.


Sunday:
After how crappy I felt during Saturday's run I decided to do a short 2 mile recovery run on Sunday. I was super excited to try out my mom's Brooks Pure Cadence shoes during the run but unfortunately my legs still felt like dead weights. After that disaster of a run I went for a 2.5 mile walk with my mom and with Gracie. I think Gracie had the most fun on the walk


Weekly Totals
  • Biking: 2 hours
  • Running: 7.83 miles
  • Walking: 4.33 miles
  • Total Hours: 4 hours 30 min
Thoughts
This week was full of ups and downs. I loved my bike rides on the trainer and my legs are loving them too. The rides are feeling more comfortable and are becoming quite enjoyable. I had a really great brick workout on Thursday and I pushed myself to get in workouts that I normally would have just skipped. On the downside, though, my runs this week were pretty craptastic. My legs, particularly my calves and lower legs, feel really tight and swollen and therefore very heavy. I wasn't sure whether I should try to run through it or just rest my legs. I tried to do some active recovery but that didn't seem to help much. I am going to make it a point this next week to foam roll and stretch every day in hopes of that helping. I know everyone has bad runs so I am hoping that is all it is. My nutrition this week was pretty good too, and I even tried my first energy gel! Next week is going to be a pretty tough week training wise so I am really going to monitor everything that goes into my body to make sure I am being fueled properly.

No comments :

Post a Comment