Saturday, March 3, 2012

Look Within

Why do I run? I have been thinking a lot about this question lately. I love running, but I have been having pretty crappy runs lately. On top of that, I have been so stressed from school that all I want to do at the end of the day is crash on the couch, not go out for a run. I want to run, but I have been really struggling with actually going for a run. I need to figure out what motivates me to run and what my goals are in this sport. Some people run for weight loss, others to race. But what do I run for?

I run for myself. Yes, running helps with weight loss and can help whip your body into rocking shape, but that is not enough for me. The feeling I had during the Baltimore Half Marathon was one I can't even describe. I felt like I was on top of the world. After that race was over all I could think about was how I wanted to do it again. I wanted to feel like I was doing something I could be proud of and that gave me a sense of pride. More importantly, I felt confident. This may not be something very important for some people, but for me it is.

Everybody runs for different reasons, and that is okay, but those reasons should come from within. If you are running for reasons that aren't personal you aren't going to love running. Trust me. I have learned the hard way that to work hard towards something you need to emotionally invested and be passionate about it or else you will only put in the minimal effort. Figure out what motivates you, what lights that fire within you to strive to be the best you can be and run with it. Pun intended.

For me, running has to be something that I enjoy. If I am not having fun, I will not want to continue to do something. Running also provides me with a lot of challenges that make things less monotonous. I love to see my hard work pay off, and running is one of the best ways to do that. The quote "running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it" by Oprah really sticks in head here. Running is always presenting us with new challenges, and it is how we deal with those challenges that determine our success.


Why do you run? How do you find motivation? Do you ever struggle with finding the motivation to run?

No comments :

Post a Comment