Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Don't Really Feel Like a Runner

I posted a while back, just after I finished my first and only half marathon, that I finally felt like I was a runner. Well let me be honest with you, I haven't been feeling like much of a runner lately. I have been really struggling to get motivated and it is making quite sad.

Running had become an outlet for me, something that I did to relieve stress and find my happy place. Lately, though, running has been stressing me out more than relieving stress.

As dumb as it may sound, I know a big part of my struggle is that I hate my current running course. You may suggest that I just switch my running route, but the problem is that I don't live in the safest of areas.

One of the reasons that I love running so much is that all you have to do is lace up your sneakers and head out the door. I don't mind driving to a local trail for some quality running, but I have a hard time justifying driving 45 minutes to go for a 3-6 mile run.

To add to this dilemma, the area I live in is sort of hilly. Hilly enough that my IT band is always angry after I go for even easy shake out runs. Frustrating.

And don't even suggest running on a treadmill. Despite how many problems I am having with finding a nice running route, I get bored on treadmills in less than 5 minutes. Not even worth trying.

I really haven't been very motivated lately and I hate everything about it. I decided to create my training plan for my upcoming half marathon and start training next week. Hopefully that will be the motivation I need to get my butt back out there running!

2 comments :

  1. sorry that you are going through such a rough time with running right now. i think its important to realize that we all go through these periods. and while, yes, it would be easy to say "well find a new route"...i think you are right in saying that there are several things you could switch up to bring some of the excitement back. like a new training plan. or a new type of workout. or a new person to run with, etc. good luck! thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is tough but I do believe that any healthy runner has ups and downs like this. To want to run always would be hard on your body anyway and maybe you just need a little time to recover from all your training before you start the next and having had some time off when you do start training again will let you remember how much you love running! I bet finals aren't helping... Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete