Friday, February 20, 2015

Road to Ironman Lake Placid Week 4

The universe is funny sometimes. Week 3 was a really solid week that I was happy with. It wasn't perfect but it was a building block upon which I can develop into a stronger and faster athlete. Not only was it physically a good week but mentally I felt ready to do the work and challenge myself. Just when I'm starting to feel in the swing of things I wake up sick. Nothing too bad, yet it still resulted in three unplanned rest days. The good news is that I am finally feeling better and training is coming along swimmingly. Pun intended.

Monday was a really good day for training. I swam 2800 yards and loved it. I also spent some quality time in the gym getting my ass handed to me by the introduction of circuits to my strength routine. Ouch.


Tuesday we finally saw the sun. Normally, I don't mind winter. Actually I am usually one of those people who loves winter. This year it seems like we haven't gotten any snow storms but rather about an inch of snow, rain and ice 1-2 times a week. Needless to say, it has been cloudy more days than not this year and I was starting to forget how nice the sun feels. I ran an easy 4 miles in 35 degree temps and could have sworn it was 65 with the sun out. Seriously, when is spring?

I rounded out the day with 65 minutes of intervals on the trainer at the Gung Ho spin class. I can't even begin to say how helpful these classes have been.

Wednesday was a planned swim but when it was just as sunny as Tuesday I swapped for a run instead. Thirty minutes later and I felt like a whole new person. Cheesy as it may sound, the sun has a real effect on my mood.


Thursday marked the first full day of being sick. I wasn't sure how I would feel over the weekend and couldn't really turn down riding on the trainer with 20+ other people in favor of riding by myself. Class was Valentine's inspired and hands down the most fun I've had while riding the trainer.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I really debated taking the weekend off as all I was sick with was a head cold. I know the rule that you can train easy as long as it isn't in your chest. I made the decision to rest because of a) how tired I was, b) I have trained through colds before and they seemed to take longer to clear up, and c) it is still really early in the season and it is much easier to take a few days off now to recover quicker than it is in June.

1 comment :

  1. You made a good decision. I remember getting sick early on in my IM training last year and I had to miss two planned training sessions and I hated missing them. I thought it was the right decision, because like you mentioned, you can be sick longer if you don't rest when your body needs it. It ended up being the only battle with sickness my whole training cycle, so I told myself that I got the one and only out of the way really early!! I hope you are feeling better and have gotten make to your training plan!

    ReplyDelete