Thursday, January 22, 2015

In January

I have never been one for resolutions. Most years New Year's Eve rolls around and I'm so caught up in it being my birthday that I totally blank when someone asks me what my resolution for the new year will be. Committing to something for entire year scares the living shit out of me, to be completely honest. Each year I set intentions to be a better version of myself and this year isn't any different.

When I look back on the past few years I feel like I wasn't really living. It's so easy for me to get caught up in thinking that what's coming next will bring me real happiness. Sometimes I forget that I am living right now. I'm trying to not fall into the pattern of waiting until grad school (fingers crossed!) to enjoy life. Part of me is relieved to have a bit of a break from school since this past year has been so stressful. The other part of me hates that I am essentially doing nothing for the next seven months. Although nervous, I am excited to be coaching Girls On the Run this spring. And I am in the process of lining something else up.

Anyway, I thought I would put together some combination of a goals post and what I'm up to post for each month. Breaking the year up into smaller chunks seems so much more manageable and lets me focus on what matters most at that particular time. I am also stealing Michelle's idea of planning something to look forward to each month to help the time pass as enjoyably as possible.


So what am I up to in January? I'm getting back to what makes me feel like me while also getting out of my comfort zone. Which means...

Reading. I used to read so much but some time during college reading for class took the fun out of reading for me. I am currently working on The Romanov Prophecy and just ordered The Well Built Triathlete and Iron War. I like to have a mix of fiction and educational things to read. Maybe it's because I'm not in school anymore but I have been really enjoying historical based books. What recommendations do you have? I need more ideas!

Eating. I'll be the first to admit that I ate way too much food over the holidays. I did some version of the no carb behind experiment except it also included anything with sugar in it. There was the apple pie and sticky foggy pudding for Christmas, graduation cake, birthday cake... SO MUCH CAKE. But really, what are the holidays if you can't indulge right? I'm trying to combat my poor eating choices and curb my sugar cravings by doing some version of the Whole30. In short, I am cutting out sugar, refined carbs and alcohol for 30 days. I started a few days late so I'll be wrapping this up February 3. Wish me luck.




Organizing. I moved home from college around a month ago and have yet to unpack. With the holidays and graduation I wanted to wait until January to really go through all of my stuff. My bedroom looks a little like a storage unit right now but hopefully by the end of the month everything will be organized. Update: Operation spring winter cleaning is underway and it is not pretty.

Refining. My skincare regimen. I have always had super sensitive skin so I am really careful with which products I use. I have also dealt with acne and dry skin. Triple whammy. I am notoriously bad at taking care of my skin and maybe it's because I just turned 22 (I feel old, I know I'm not) but I want to take care of my skin now before it's too late. Especially because of how much time I spend outside in the sun.

Training. January means the start of ironman training. Finally! As challenging as it can sometimes be to really commit to training in these cold winter months when all you want to do is curl up on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate, I know that putting in the work now will pay off in the spring and summer. I have been in the pool a handful of times so far, with the focus primarily on technique and regaining a feel for the water. Biking has mostly consisted of trainer rides at my local bike club mixed with a few spin classes. My approach for winter cycling is to get stronger before going longer because, quite frankly, I don't want to spent countless hours pedaling nowhere.


Running has been the discipline that is giving me the most trouble so far this year. After completing a solid 31 day run streak in December I felt some discomfort in my knee with the switch to new running shoes. Between my knee and not being able to run because of getting my wisdom teeth out, making real run progress has been pretty nonexistent. For the rest of January I plan on getting back into the swing of things with easy and smart running.

1 comment :

  1. Love this approach, Shannon! Have you read Boys in the Boat and Unbroken? Both are excellent. I'm also in the middle of 10% Happier, which is also fantastic!

    I hope your knee is ok!

    ReplyDelete