Friday, January 9, 2015

Year of Triathloning 2014

Yes, I realize it has already been 2015 for a week now. I debated whether or not I wanted to write a 2014 recap post but ultimately decided I would regret not having something to look back on. I could really write a whole novel about this past year, but instead I am doing Miss Zippy's year of running survey. Only I modified it for triathlon. So here we go!

Best race experience


Hands down the Rev3 Poconos 70.3. Going into this race I didn't know what to expect because this was my first half ironman. Not only did I have one heck of a race, but the entire race weekend exceeded all my expectations. I could not be happier to have picked this race for my first 70.3.

A close runner-up was USAT Age-Group Nationals. I didn't have the race I wanted but the whole trip was certainly memorable. Nothing bonds family more than driving14 hours each way and drinking your way through Milwaukee.


Best swim

I hate to admit that I don't remember many particular swim workouts I did this past year. There was one workout I did in August I think that was pretty solid. I don't remember what exactly the workout was but I do remember truly pushing myself in the pool for the first time since I swam competitively. I have a tendency to coast through my swims, which really needs to change for 2015.

Best bike


Back in July I had a long ride scheduled for the same day as my best friend's rehearsal dinner. I mapped out a route and hit the road only to find out one of the roads was closed for construction. Knowing I needed to get the ride in then, I rode aimlessly around York turning when and where I felt like. This was the first time I rode without knowing how fast I was going or how far I had gone. Let me tell you, it was glorious. Ever since I have been trying to focus less on my garmin while training.

Best run

I will be the first one to admit that I could have done more running this past year. Because of this, I can't pick one training run as my best. What was the most surprising and rewarding run, however, was at nationals. I came off a sub-par bike with pain so badly I could barely walk. Never in a million years did I expect to have such a good run split. I fought for every one of those 6.2 miles and for that, this is my best run of 2014.

Best piece of new gear


Although I didn't get it until after I was done racing, I'm going to say my new bike. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my road bike. But I thought it was time to finally invest in a tri bike before ironman training. I was super nervous about riding in aero and still am about descending in aero but overall aero it really fun! 2015 is going to be the year of #bikelove.

Best piece of running/triathloning advice you received

Believe in yourself.

Most inspirational runner/triathlete

This one is tough to answer as I don't have many friends who run or do triathlons so instead I'm going with the beautiful and talented Erin of sweetsweatlife. Erin completed her second ironman this past year in total rockstar fashion, finishing fourth in her age group. Every time I would want to bail out of a workout I would log in to Strava and see what training Erin was up to. I was [and still am!] so motivated that it made me want to work harder.

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be?

An adventure.

1 comment :

  1. Awww… you are the sweetest, Shannon! Thank you so much! That means a lot :)

    You had a great 2014, and I cannot wait to follow you on your journey to your first IM! Your triathlon future is bright :) And, that advice is so spot on. Believing in yourself is truly magic. xo.

    ReplyDelete