Saturday, March 15, 2014

Taking a Break from the Training Plan

You may be wondering why I would be straying away from a training plan when I have some big races coming up this year. Well, for the past couple weeks following a plan of what workout I do each day has been more stressful than helpful. It felt like ever day this past week I was scrambling to try to change my plan for the week to accommodate some uncalled for obstacle. I had to skip a run due to a last minute advising meeting and the amount of stress it was causing me made me realize had bad things were getting. I was focusing so much on following what my plan said and doing what a triathlete should be doing that I was ignoring what I want to be doing.


I am on spring break until Monday the 24th and am doing whatever workouts I want all this week. I have been craving some serious time on two wheels but who knows what if the weather will cooperate. The Weather Channel is coming for temps in the 50's at the end of the week but they're also calling for 8 inches of snow on Monday. Last night I was trying to put together my workouts for the week and once again was stressing more than I should be. What I want to focus on while on break is getting in quality workouts that I actually want to do. If I want to go to the track for a run, I will. If I wake up and would rather run than swim, that's what I'll do.

More pool time

I've been thinking a lot about why I do triathlons, including why I train for them. The reason has always been because I love it and I want to keep it that way. I still have the same really scary goals for the year and I am still going to chase them with all of my heart. But there is a difference between your heart and your head. Your head is what tells you that you do that swim instead of run. It keeps you on track with your training plan. Your heart is what keeps you passionate.

I haven't talked a lot about my life outside of training but I am in my senior year of college at UMBC, graduating in December. I have started looking at grad schools and it is very overwhelming. This is a whole post in and of itself but the takeaway here is that it is a complicated process. I am also working on proposing my senior project which has turned into a battle with my advisors. As much as I want to be able to put all of my focus on my training, right now I can't. And that is okay. Triathlon is not my life, although it has become an important part of it. I am okay with putting my focus on finishing up my senior year strong and getting into grad school.


For the rest of the semester my training will be mostly training plan free but still filled with plenty swim/bike/running. If there's a week that I can't get out on the bike at all that's fine. I will do what I can when I can and make my training count. My A race for the season is in the middle of September and I have all summer to worry about following a plan. So for now, I'm going to do the best I can because that is all that really matters.

1 comment :

  1. You have so much going on with school and everything else I think throwing the plans away for the time being is a good idea. I think you will really benefit from the flexibility and reduced stress.

    What grad schools are you looking at?

    ReplyDelete