Thursday, August 21, 2014

Ironman Lake Placid 2015

Surprise! On July 28 at 12:02 I officially signed up for Ironman Lake Placid. I'd known for a little while that I wanted to do an ironman in 2015 but I think a small part of me questioned whether that would really happen. When I first made the switch from swimming to running and triathlon I made a bucket list of all the things I wanted to do. I started with 5k, then 10k, half marathon, marathon, all the way up to ironman. At the time I didn't exactly know what an ironman consisted of and when I looked it up I said no way. I didn't think it was possible. Three and a half years after making that bucket list I not only think, but know that completing an ironman is possible, and dare I say I think it will be fun.


Two summers ago I made a longish term plan regarding my racing. In 2013 I would focus on racing shorter distance triathlons and focus more on having a season with many races than peaking for one specific race. In 2014 the focus would be on completing my first half ironman, with the grand daddy of them all in 2015. Another reason that I wanted to do an ironman next summer is that the timing in my life is perfect. I am not married nor do I have any children or a full-time career. I am graduating in December and won't be starting grad school until next August. I know many people train for ironman while working full time plus having children and I am in awe of those people. I know that this will be the time in my life where I have the least responsibilities so it just made sense to me.


Right now my focus is still on the Rev3 Poconos 70.3 in three and a half weeks. I am in the middle of my last big training block before tapering. This is the longest I have been in training for any one event and I can tell I am on the border of being mentally burned out. After the half I am looking forward to relaxing and enjoying my last semester as an undergrad without the pressure of training for anything. I of course will continue to swim, bike, run but with no plan for a while. The beginning of 2015 will be when the focus switches to ironman training.

Who else will be at Lake Placid next year?

2 comments :

  1. Wooo! So excited for you and cannot wait to follow your journey to the start and finish lines of your first IM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting! And it sounds like the timing is perfect for you. I can't wait to follow your training, I am so totally in awe of anyone who trains for such a killer race!

    ReplyDelete