Monday, April 8, 2013

Strong Is What You Have Left When You've Used Up All Your Weak

I stumbled across this quote last week and it has stuck with me ever since. The previous week was really tough for me, with lots of ups and downs. Mostly downs though. I felt more mentally defeated than I had in a long time. Going into this past week I tried to stay more relaxed and not stress out so much when things don't go according to plan.


And they didn't. My track-turned-just-generally-hard run on Wednesday is the epitome of this quote from Saucony. I struggled mentally to keep running hard. But I did. I thought about quitting after being kicked off the track. But I didn't. I needed this run for it's cathartic properties more than anything else. The harder I ran on Wednesday the farther I felt away from the previous week's less than stellar runs. 

During this run on Wednesday I felt like I ran all of the weak out of me. Like everything that was stressing me out and holding me back was just suddenly gone. I know not all of my runs from here on out are going to be great. That's just not how running works. But sometimes you have to run the bad runs right out of you.

I am nearing the end of my training cycle for the Nike Women's Half Marathon. It excites me and terrifies me at the same time how close race day is. I only have a few more really hard workouts before the big day is here and I want to make the most of them. I don't want my fears and insecurities to hold me back. I'm hoping Wednesday's run got rid of all my weak and all I have left until race day is strong.

2 comments :

  1. Love this quote! I was feeling thus way several weeks ago. Thank goodness for this crazy thing called running! Good luck at Nike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally see a strong race in your future! :) Can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete