First I should mention that I get pretty warm when I run. Probably more so than most people from what I have observed. If you are typically a colder runner then this might not be so helpful, sorry.
My first piece of advice is to dress as if it were 20-25 degrees warmer. You may be cold when you first start running but once you're warmed up you should feel comfortable.
Assuming no rain or snow this is how I decide what to wear when heading out for a run:
- 70+ degrees: When it is this warm out I will typically wear a tank and shorts. Sometimes short sleeves depending on the last time I've done laundry.
- 50-60 degrees: Short sleeves and shorts.
- 40-50 degrees: Thin long sleeves and shorts, or short sleeves and capris.
- 30-40 degrees: Medium thickness long sleeves and capris.
- 20-30 degrees: Medium thickness long sleeves and tights, or thick long sleeves and capris.
- 10-20 degrees: Thick long sleeves and tights.
- 0-10 degrees: Medium thickness long sleeves, lightweight jacket, fleece-lined tights
I will usually wear thin gloves when it is under 40 degrees, a thin fleece headband and thin gloves when it is under 30 and a thick headband and thin gloves when it is under 20 degrees. My hands tend to get pretty hot when I run so I normally only wear a pair of thin wool liners and I end up taking them off a lot of the time anyway. I find that it really helps to wear something with pockets in the winter so I can off my gloves or headband if I start to get too warm.
One thing that I tried once but haven't invested in myself yet is a vest. At first I thought it was a pretty silly idea but once I tried it I loved it. I am currently on the hunt to find the perfect vest and a pair of arm warmers that meet my high expectations of not being too thick.
This winter I have been especially loving the Oiselle Lesley Knicker and the Brooks Infiniti Jacket. They are the two pieces I wear the most and would recommend to anyone. I want to try the Oiselle Lesley Tight since I like the capris so much but I'm waiting until they go on sale (hopefully) since I already have a pair of tights.