Saturday, October 20, 2012

New PDR: 20 Miles!

Yesterday I ran 20 miles. That still hasn't sunk in yet. It wasn't the confidence boosting run I was hoping for but either way the miles are in the book. And based on how my runs went the week after RNR Philly I wasn't expecting anything fantastic after Baltimore. At least I was mentally prepared, I guess.

My dad had agreed to meet me again to bike along as I ran but due to a little thing called work he couldn't meet me until 12:30. Since the temps have been cooler I didn't mind starting the run later. I figured it would be good practice since I don't start the NYCM until 10:55. The late start time for yesterday's run also meant I got to sleep in and miss the storms and rain that hit in the morning.

I knew I wanted to run 8-12 miles before meeting up with my dad so I got to the trail around 11. As soon as I started running I could tell it was going to be a tough run. I couldn't get my legs to settle into a pace and just felt all over the place. I kept trying to reign it in so I didn't go out too fast and crash & die later on.

The first four miles flew by and before I knew it I had finished 8 miles and was back at my car. I stopped to stretch for a minute and waited for my dad but then decided to run around some until he came so my legs didn't cramp up while sitting. I felt really good until mile 10.

Miles 10-12.5 weren't really too bad but them there on out the run got worse with each mile. I realized I hadn't taken in as many calories as I should have. I stopped to stretch around mile 15 and ended up sitting down for a few minutes. I wanted nothing more than to be finished running. But since the only way back to the car was running those last 5 miles I had no choice. So I ran.

Those last 5 miles were absolutely brutal. Every part of my body hurt but somehow I finished without too much walking. This run did the exact opposite of give me confidence heading into my taper. After how painful those 5 miles were I couldn't comprehend how I would another 6. But that is why we taper for marathons. Now it's time to embrace the taper and rest up so my legs are feeling fresh on November 4.

1 comment :

  1. You know, my legs felt almost the same way for my 20 miler, but they felt great when I did 18. I think it's just all the weeks of training building up, and after having time to taper, we will both feel awesome in NYC! You're doing awesome lady!! Don't doubt yourself!

    ReplyDelete