Monday, October 1, 2012

NYCM Peak Training

I can't believe I am entering my final three week build of marathon training, which also means I am entering peak training. It seems like yesterday that I started training for this race yet at the same time it feels like so long ago. I wouldn't be honest if I said that marathon training hasn't been hard. In fact, it's been really hard. I've had a lot of ups and downs emotionally that resulted in an anxiety induced breakdown last week. Last week was not supposed to be a rest week but all I did was rest. I only ran once, which I'm sure was a really stupid thing to do but I needed that break mentally. After last week's catastrophic fail of a training week I finally feel ready to tackle the rest of my training.

What I have come to learn is that to be successful at training for a marathon you really need to do a lot of planning ahead. There is more to training than just running. Insert foam rolling, stretching, extra sleep, meal planning and cooking, etc. Add homework and studying for tests and it's enough to make me want to hide under my comforter until Christmas break. I spent some time over the weekend planning out my week in a lot of detail. I hate having everything planned out but if I'm not careful I'll end up with a scheduled 8 mile run and a paper to write at the same time. And when I have a lot of schoolwork looming over my head I struggle to take the time to go out for a run. Luckily I don't have a very busy week and can hopefully get ahead on some schoolwork since I have three exams next week.

Here's what on the plan for this week:
Monday: 4 miles easy
Tuesday: 45 min cycling
Wednesday: 2 miles easy, 45 min swim
Thursday: 6 miles easy
Friday: 16 miles long, 1 hour yoga
Saturday: REST
Sunday: 4 miles easy

Week total: 36 miles

No comments :

Post a Comment