Thursday, September 6, 2012

Getting Back Into the Swing of Things

Now that I have been back at school for over a week I finally feel like I am starting to settle into a routine. I am learning that going to school at 2:00 will result in parking over a mile away, and that having class from 10:00-2:15 leaves me starving.

It is so different to go from living at home with a fully stocked fridge, a gym membership, beautiful running trails, a safe area to go for a bike ride and having no commitments during the day to having my entire day scheduled, only being able to run on campus, and biking on a trainer. While it isn't ideal, I have found ways to manage. It is amazing, really, how the body and mind learn to adapt to things after such a short time.

One thing that is really helping me this semester is not having class on Friday's. It is the perfect time to do my long runs and then come home and take a nap, while still having the entire weekend to hang out with friends and get ahead on homework. And since I don't have any commitments to worry about I will have time to drive to a running trail about 30 minutes away instead of running the two mile loop on campus for 20 miles. I haven't had time yet but I found a new trail about 10 minutes from my apartment that I will hopefully get to check out soon as well.

I am going to a yoga class tonight that the school offers every Monday and Thursday, which will hopefully become a part of my weekly schedule. I loved going to yoga during the summer that I went twice a week. It became a critical part of my recovery after tough workouts and the thought of doing OnDemand yoga videos didn't thrill me.

One thing that I am struggling with right now is a lack of motivation to wake up early to run before class. I am up late doing homework and just want to sleep in the morning. Then it is often too hot to run in the afternoon once class is out and it isn't really safe to run after 7. This just means that I need to figure out a way to get to bed earlier so I can wake up earlier. Once it starts cooling off outside this won't really be an issue anymore.


No comments :

Post a Comment