Monday, October 28, 2013

Today I Ran

Today I ran. I don't know how far or how fast. All I know is that I ran with no pain.


I don't think I've ever been more nervous about a run before. As much as I didn't want to admit it I was pretty sure that if the pain was there right from the beginning I would pull out of this weekend's marathon. I'm prepared to deal with some pain throughout the race but starting 26.2 miles already hurting is just not worth it to me. I'm still nervous that today was a fluke but I'm going to take my chances on this one.


I went over to my school's track to run on a softer surface and so that if it did hurt I would only be a short walk away from my car. Nothing is worse than hobbling a few miles injured and defeated. I started walking with no pain so I slowly switched to jogging. With no pain jogging, I slowly switched to running. No pain again! I kept everything super easy and relaxed and alternated running with walking and jogging. This was not about testing my leg with anything close to speed but more of a benchmark with how things are.


It's certainly not ideal but it's better than it was last week. At this point all I can ask for is progress. I now have a little more confidence that I can make it to the finish line in one piece and even more importantly, smiling. I'm trying to treat this race as the celebration that its known to be. What better way to celebrate an awesome year of racing than 26.2 miles through the streets of New York City with millions of spectators cheering you on!

2 comments :

  1. Yay for no pain!! Progress is progress, embrace this final week- Sunday is your 26.2 mile victory lap from an awesome year! You have a great attitude Shannon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so glad! You will make it to the finish line at NYC! And, what a fantastic way to close out a great year :)

    ReplyDelete