Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Off Season Running

This morning I went for my first real run post marathon and boy did it hurt. Not even 2 miles in my legs were already tired and reminding me I ran a marathon 2.5 weeks ago. I wasn't expecting to feel this way after taking 2 weeks completely off with the exception of last week's turkey trot. I am glad that I have a good chunk of time to fully recover before I jump back into training.

It was supposed to rain this morning with temps in the upper 30's. I like running in the fall/winter despite icky weather because I get to wear clothes that I haven't worn since last winter. Lame, I know. Anyway, I dressed warm this morning wearing long tights and a short sleeve shirt with a rain jacket overtop. I completed my first cold weather running morning with a fleece headband and gloves.

The only problem was that it ended up not raining until the last 15 minutes of the run. I was cold when I started, quickly warmed up & then got really cold again towards the end. Despite the back & forth weather and how grumpy my legs were it was still such an enjoyable run. I ran without my Garmin and just focused on being in the moment and not worrying about silly numbers.

I think I'm going to take a cue from Jess and skip the watch until training starts up again. I like not having any pressure to run a certain speed or distance. And hopefully when I start training for the Nike Women's Half Marathon in April I will feel completely refreshed, rested and ready to train my butt off.

No comments :

Post a Comment