Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Return of the Baltimore Half Marathon

One of the things I have been struggling the most with training for a marathon is getting in my long runs. Normally I don't have much trouble doing longer training runs or even bike rides, but that is because there is a wonderful dirt crushed trail that runs for 40 miles into Maryland. Now that I am back at school though I am really struggling to find places to run that are safe.

After my disastrous 14 miles long run the other week I was wishing I could just use half marathons as long training runs like I did with the Rock N' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon. Enter: the Baltimore Half Marathon! I absolutely loved running this race as my first half marathon last year and spent months wishing I could run it again this year. I am looking forward to not racing and just running for run.


The plan is to run 5 additional miles to make a total of 18 for the day. I always thought it would be difficult to run additional miles before or after a race but I actually really enjoyed doing a few warm up miles in Philadelphia. I have not decided how I will split up the miles but I will most likely run 3 miles before and 2 after. I am also toying with the idea of running the actual race at marathon race pace, which by the way I have idea what that would be.


I really can't put into words how excited I am to be running this race again. After each race my parents ask me which one is my favorite and I always answer with Baltimore. Everything I remember about this race makes me overwhelmed with happiness. This race taught me that I can overcome anything and to always love whatever you are doing.

No comments :

Post a Comment