Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Art of Being Chicked

Because I am not the fastest runner I have not chicked many guys. For all of you nonrunners, getting chicked is when a guy gets passed by a girl. In the past when I have chicked guys I have not had trouble with them. I just kept running past them and they stayed at their pace. Well, that was not the case this morning.

I woke up at 7:15 this morning so I could get in four easy miles in before my 10 AM class. For a college student this was pretty early. I started my run still pretty sleepy and not very aware of what was going on around me. After the first two miles I started to wake up some and noticed an older couple jogging a ways in front of me.

I could tell that they weren't moving very fast so I decided to try to catch up to them. After only a few minutes I had almost caught up to them but then they went into a parking lot, which essentially was just a shortcut. The couple was in front of me again. I felt frustrated but decided to just try to catch up with them again.

This time I actually started to pass the couple but when I tried to pass the man, he sped up significantly. I got annoyed so I sped up even more and passed them both. I kept up my faster pace so that I could just be rid of them once and for all. I continued on my way, ready for this run to be over.

After another few minutes, though, I realized that the couple was once again in front of me as they had taken a different side street then I did to get to the main road. I take the long way to get extra mileage in but they took one of the shorter ones.

I saw that they were heading in the same direction that I was so I ran on the other side of the street so I wouldn't have to deal with passing them again. Even though I was not physically next to them, I began to pass the man once again (he was pretty far behind the woman). I then saw him look over to where I was and then start to speed up again.

So of course I sped up too. I was getting really irritated but I was almost to my apartment so I just focused on finishing. For a final time I started to pass the man once again, but this time I wasn't going to let him take anymore shortcuts to get back in front of me. We were running up a hill and at this point I was really pushing it but I didn't care.

I looked over at the man, made eye contact, and then ran right past him. He started sprinting to keep up but I made sure that he never caught me. I couldn't have been happier to be back at my apartment after this little game of cat and mouse. This man had made me so irritated that I was no longer enjoying my run. Not cool.

But I did learn a few things about how to properly chick someone:

1. Make eye contact as you pass them. I felt like I was telling the man that I was going to pass him and there was nothing he could do about it. And it kicked ass.

2. Don't let them get to you mentally. I was so frustrated with this man that I let it ruin my run. Don't ever give someone else the power to make a good run bad.

3. Pass with confidence. I felt so strong and badass as I passed that man. Be proud!

Have you ever chicked someone? How did they respond?

No comments :

Post a Comment